Friday, April 2, 2010

NaPoWriMo #1

I am going to try to do NaPoWriMo - http://readwritepoem.org/ - and write a poem a day this month. I might not always follow their prompts. Today's involved incorporating random song titles into a poem. Shuffle gave me:
One Pure Thought - Hot Chip
Nevertheless - Christine Fellows
Destination: Overdrive - Chromeo
Chrissy Kiss The Corpse - Of Montreal
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

Here's what I came up with:

Kiss The Corpse

She had given up the idea that one pure thought could save him.
Given up on salvation, resurrection. Instead, she opted for
a tarry mascara halo around each blue eye,
a waxy smear of red on each pursed lip.

Nevertheless, she didn’t do it out of cynicism.
She did it because we are already close to death.
We are each tumbling towards the same destination,
the boy in the coffin just traveled in overdrive.

She couldn’t take him out of the church, where she knew
he wasn’t happy. She couldn’t take him out to that diner
they liked, to the world of spilled strawberry milkshakes
and the blood of rare hamburgers.

She didn’t do it for shock. She did it
because she couldn’t save him.
She left a red smear on his blue lips.

1 comment:

  1. I already told you how much I like this poem. And I still do! Did you rearrange the first stanza? If so, I like it a lot. Really lovely, sad images. <3

    ReplyDelete